| 'movie: Personal Shopper' tag |
• ReelChicago: Life has been moving at jet speed for Chicago actor Ty Olwin. He was signed in mid-October for a leading role in French director Olivier Assayas’ new international film and flew out Nov. 22 for a week of shooting in Europe and the Middle East.
By the time he returns Saturday, Nov. 29, the 24-year old actor will have traveled 80,000 miles — Paris to Prague to Muscat — “having auspiciously launched his movie career,” says his agent, Maryann Ziesch of boutique Actors Talent Group. (Filming ends this week?)
Olwin co-stars as Kristen Stewart’s boyfriend in Assayas’ “Personal Shopper,” a Paris-set, English-language story that takes place in the fringes of the fashion underworld. Stewart plays a personal shopper to the stars, with psychic power that she once shared with her late twin brother.
Assayas and Stewart were reunited in “Personal Shopper,” as Stewart had co-starred with Juliette Binoche in Assayas’ highly praised 2014 “Clouds of Sils Maria.” For her role in the film, Stewart became the first American actress to win a Cesar and the film earned five other Cesar nominations.
“Personal Shopper” is also a reunion of sorts for Assayas and Olwin. A year ago, Assayas was in Chicago preparing to direct the Chicago-set “Idol’s Eye,” starring Robert DeNiro, and signed Olwin for a lead role in the heist drama.
“But Olivier kept his eye on Ty and began checking on his availability last July while ‘Personal Shopper’ was being developed, and signed him for the role last month.”
Calling Olwin a prodigy, Ziesch says, “When he did his monolog about young love, it blew me away. I said “awww” and signed him on the spot. That was in 2012, when he was right out of school, a University of Cincinnati drama graduate who had moved to Chicago.”
In his first professional theatrical role shortly thereafter, Olwin was cast as Jack in “Lord of the Flies” for Steppenwolf’s Youth series. That was followed by a succession of theatrical roles at Raven Theatre, Steep Theatre and The House Theatre.
Olwin has played recent parts in TV series “Chicago Fire” and “Crisis.”
Calling his current role “an amazing opportunity,” Ziesch says, “I have believed in Ty’s potential from our first meeting. Having the good fortune of working with Olivier Assayas is a major stepping stone to great things for this immensely talented young actor.”
October 15, 2015
This is so exciting. Kristen as a personal shopper, how funny and at the same time so relevant! Hi Maureen!
• MK2: (International sales) Maureen is a young American woman in Paris making her living as a personal shopper for Kyra, a celebrity. Also, Maureen may have the psychic ability to communicate with spirits, just like her twin brother, Lewis, who recently passed away. She soon starts receiving ambiguous messages coming from an unknown source.
• DetailFilm: (German distributor) Maureen, mid-20s, has a job she hates: seeing to the wardrobe of a media celebrity. She couldn’t find anything better to pay for her stay in Paris. And wait. Wait for a sign from the spirit of her twin brother, who died a few months earlier. Until then, her life will stay on hold.
• Screendaily: Shooting will start on Oct 27 in Paris, for two weeks, before heading to Prague, London and Oman.
Olivier Assayas’s English-language Personal Shopper, reuniting him with US actress Kristen Stewart, is due to start shooting in Paris next week, its producers have announced.
Described as “a ghost story set on the fringes of the fashion world”, Kristen Stewart plays a personal shopper to the stars with psychic powers that she once shared with a recently deceased twin brother.
Other cast members include Sigrid Bouaziz, Lars Eidinger, Anders Danielsen Lie, Nora von Waldstätten.
Charles Gillibert, who also produced Assyas’s Sils Maria and Summer Hours (L’heure d’été), is lead producer on the project with support from co-producers German Detail Film, Belgian Scope Invest and Czech Sirena Film.
IFC has acquired US rights while Les Films du Losange is handling French distribution. Other French backers include Arte France Cinéma and Canal Plus.
MK2 is handling international sales.
@EliaAmato am working on the preparation of the shooting in Prague. we'll start the 27th in Paris !— charles gillibert (@charlegillibert) 12 Octobre 2015
September 7, 2015
#PersonalShopper#OlivierAssayas starting of the shooting in Paris end ofOctober #KristenStewart#LarsEdinger#AndersDanielsenLie#SigridBouaziz— charles gillibert (@charlegillibert) September 7, 2015
Lars Eidinger (also in 'Clouds of Sils Maria'), Anders Danielsen Lie and Sigrid Bouaziz join Kristen! :)
June 30, 2015
Olivier Assays talks about the movie, 'Clouds of Sils Maria' & Kristen
Télérama - Have you taken advantage of the standardization of American cinema?
I'll talk more mechanization, industrialization of American cinema. Actors awareness Kristen Stewart are found in films where, even for a simple close-up, there are 18 trucks, fully blocked street types who bark in all directions into their walkie-talkies. It is logistically delusional and it deprives them of the time and space they once were leaving from time to time the majority cinema to rotate in an art film ... That freedom does not exist in American cinema. Even the report to the story is not the same: when Kristen Stewart saw Sils Maria , she was amazed to find all the scenes she had turned. "This is the first time!", she said. She was surprised that we have already filmed the whole scenario, and more that the scenario is found entirely in the image without eighteen mounting layers ... And three quarters of scenes in American films look green background, it is the advent of the world of special effects and, for the actors, it is clearly less and less fun, more and more restrictive.
A little curiosity "people": in Sils Maria , you direct two very young actresses of American cinema, Moretz and Kristen Stewart. What is the difference?
Almost everything except talent. I chose Moretz after conversations via Skype. Looking on Google, I realized she was only 16 years old. It did not make sense, I could not imagine talking to a 16 year old girl. I went to see her in Toronto where she was shooting, and I found an incredible maturity. Chloë is facetious, Kristen Stewart is dark. She has a surprising intensity, she is a samurai. Although she was already a star, American cinema has discovered her through Sils Maria. "So she knows how to play? " But she was already great in previous films!
You will turn at year end a new film called Personal Shopper . What can you tell us?
I wish I was already filming! But I chose to wait Kristen Stewart, who added the films of Ang Lee and Woody Allen - proof that her American career has changed. It will be a movie very centered around her, and that its kind of ghost film. I'm still in a bizarre situation. My films fall into a blind spot of the funding system: although produced by a French producer as they are in English, they are not entitled to the tax credit, and only a smaller version of the support fund. While an American producer from turning an American film in France benefits from the tax credit. As Sils Maria , which has had to turn inland in Leipzig and Halle, in the former East Germany, it will turn the interiors of Personal shopper, happens entirely in Paris, Hungary or the Czech Republic according to the highest bidder...
• Cineuropa: Arte France Cinéma will also be backing Personal Shopper by Olivier Assayas (see article). Announced at the Marché du Film at Cannes, this English-language project will star the young American actress Kristen Stewart (who won a Cesar for Best Supporting Actress this year for her role in Clouds of Sils Maria) and will be filmed in Paris at the end of this year. Produced by Charles Gillibert for CG Cinéma, the film will centre around a ghost story on the margins of the fashion world, borrowing from supernatural thriller codes and mixing spiritualism and omission to capture the fear and desire for ghosts, in an ultra-contemporary and materialistic world. Les Films du Losange will distribute the film in French theatres and MK2 will handle international sales.
YAY! Finally the official announcement of their reunion! This is SO exciting, and filming in Paris? Let me die!!!
• Variety: Kristen Stewart is set to star in Olivier Assayas’s “Personal Shopper,” a Paris-set English-language ghost story taking place in the fashion underworld.
Assayas (“Clean,””Carlos”) previously directed Stewart in “Sils Maria” which world premiered in competition at Cannes and earned Stewart a best actress Cesar (France’s Oscar equivalent), becoming the first Cesar-winning American thesp ever.
Penned by Assayas,”Personal Shopper” brings back “Sils Maria”‘s team: Producer Charles Gillibert for CG Cinema, MK2 for international sales and Les Films du Losange.
Gillibert said “Personal Shopper” will feature some of same themes as “Sils Maria” and will also have a genre/fantasy dimension. Shooting will start in the last quarter of 2015 in Paris.